Friday, October 12, 2007

On Polish TV, Desperate Wives Sound Like Guys

The Poles have no use for emotions. They think it is overrated.

I read this article in the WSJ that talked about the art of (of lack of) dubbing TV shows in Poland. I found it so fascinating that I had to blog about it.

In Poland when they need to dub a TV show, they employ what they call lektors to do it. No matter what the gender of the character, the age, how much emotion is needed for a scene, a man reads the script in the same monotonous voice. I had to hear with my own ears how bad it really sounds. It is awful! It is how I imagined hell, but worst.

The Polish people seem to loves this stuff like Latinos love Telenovelas.

Well, I know what I am going to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I am going to be thankful I don't have to watch Polish TV. If I ever go to Poland, I am bringing enough DVDs to take me through a nuclear winter, or buy a Slingbox.

I just thought of a new slogan for Slingbox: "Poland! Don't go there without a Slingsbox."

Here is a YouTube video to illustrate why Poland is not for "TV Lovers."


1 comment:

Zannnie said...

yess, i agree totally to what you have written in your post :)