Friday, September 21, 2007

Muji Stores Opening in the U.S. and Slate Writer is About to Poop his Pants

Muji = Ikea for SoHo Suckers

Slate online declared that the Japanese powerhouse Muji was opening U.S. stores and that called for a hallelujah. Hallelujah, because a furniture store is coming to SoHo? I could not wait to hear more. The writer admitted that Muji is basically just like Ikea but with really boring stuff. In the article it states “IKEA implores customers to "be brave, not beige." Muji, in contrast, revels in neutrality. Almost all of its products are devoid of color, and the most surprising and delightful aspect of their design is how nondescript they are.” Am I supposed to rejoice because my furniture is going to be “devoid of color?” Ikea sells plenty of things that are devoid of color, why don’t I just go there.

“The rabid excitement over Muji is very much deserved, but the most innovative aspect of the company's products isn't the quality of their design; it's how fundamentally they redefine the idea of the design object.” OK let me get this straight. I am paying high prices for neutral colored furniture that is not very good quality because it is redefining design. Oh now that it’s being put to me this way, I can’t wait to go buy me some Muji accessories.

I went on YouTube to see Muji products in moving picture. I clicked, I watched, and I was not impressed. Well just a bit impressed. Muji sells these electrical outlets which are so well designed, Ikea must copy them. Good design is important, but I am not paying SoHo, Midtown Manhattan, prices for stuff because they are beige(neutral) and from Japan.

I am sure that are plenty of people in Manhattan who can’t wait to overpay for their shelving units. Actually I think there are plenty of people in Manhattan that won’t buy anything unless they are being overcharged for it. To these people I say, shop on suckers!!!











Muji commercials highlighting how plain and beige everything is at their stores. Chair and bed match. Couches are beige and they go well with beige walls.






Really good design. Only thing worth buying at Muji. I would like the Ikea design (copy) team to start working on something similar.











Ikea commercials highlighting how versatile their products are. You want to own them because you feel they belong in your home, not in a lab.

No comments: