Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I Will Wait For Amazon's Kindle 3.0

The Kindle has been out for 2 days, and everybody has an opinion. Even the Pope. Some people like it. Some people hate it. But everybody agrees that the Kindle is just plain too ugly to have been designed for e-book readers living in 2007.

The Kindle's best feature is its ability to download a book from Amazon anytime in seconds. All the other features are in need of refinement. I would not buy a Kindle because I am not allowed to loan it to a friend. It is against the term of use. I like sharing books. When you find a book you love, you want to tell all your friends about it and lend it to them. I don't see myself lending the Kindle to a friend because A)They might break it. B)If I lend them my Kindle, what I am going to read? C)If they decide to download their a book for themselves on the Kindle, how I am going to ask for my money back?

Amazon also wants customers to pay for things they can get for free on the Internet. They want $15 for a New York Times subscription. Are they kidding me? They are also able to keep tab on how I read my e-books. That is the one thing I hate about things electronic, every company wants to connect to my stuff and see how I am using them. I bought it fair and square, so what I do with it is my business.

The Kindle has not kindled my imagination. Amazon wanted to Kindle to resemble ink on paper as much as possible. If someone is that attached to how ink looks on paper, don't you think they would just buy a book.

The Kindle looks like it was designed by baby boomers for baby boomers, and it shows. I say that Amazon should go back to the drawing board and design something with amazing features and that has "wow" written all over it and get back to us in one year.

No comments: